Headquarters: London, England
Balena’s mission is to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We’re building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy, and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is balenaCloud, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS, and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We’ve also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios: robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Big Pi Ventures, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company. We rely on clear communication and the rule of “assume positive intent” to help us work together across time zones, cultures, and languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems. We are looking for people who want to bring us even more diversity and strongly encourage applications from people underrepresented in tech.
On being an Internal Tooling Software Engineer at Balena
We strongly believe that the state of the art in software development, testing, and deployment is light years behind what it could be. Balena engineers take pride in accomplishing more with less by exponentially increasing their productivity through automation and internal tooling, and we are never afraid to question established software development practices, and pioneer our own, to improve the way we work.
As part of the Internal Tooling engineering team, you will be working on our cross-platform, in-house continuous integration system (Balena CI); on internal tools that range from automatic versioning based on commit conventions to automated project landing website generation; and on discussing and implementing innovative deployment tools and processes within the distributed systems world. Hopefully, in the future, you will help us release Balena CI to the public as an IoT oriented CI system, tuned for providing Balena based automatic testing pipelines for IoT projects!
Our engineers are well-rounded generalists and great communicators that take pride in maximizing the output of their team. They are eager to take responsibility for a project and are able to make good decisions about the project because they have the context of what’s important.
We don’t require engineers to already be familiar with the technologies we use. We are happy to invest in people that showcase a strong understanding of the challenges of software development, testing, and deployment along with a willingness to learn and grow.
- Implement and maintain internal tools to improve our in-house build and deploy pipeline
- Maintain the health of our internal build and deployment systems
- Identify parts of our development and deployment cycle that can be automated, and push to make that happen
- Challenge orthodoxy when that will help the product evolve
- Be highly motivated to produce great code
- Design, architect, and own the execution of your projects
- Collaborate, brainstorm, and coordinate work with other teammates
- Understand the high-level goals, and thus know how to prioritize your work
- Actively invest back into our own technology, libraries, and frameworks
- Up-to-date software engineering knowledge and problem-solving skills (both in development and in production)
- Good understanding of git, Docker, and shell scripting
- Excellent communication skills, and fluency in English
- Self-discipline and drive for action — taking ownership and pushing projects to completion
- Willingness to ask for support from experts within the team when their particular skills are required
- Continuous improvement mindset and desire to make yourself and others more effective
- Being curious and willing to constantly build on your knowledge of the balena product and new technologies
- Being comfortable working in an environment that practices radical candor and transparency
- Experience with the GitHub API and GitHub Apps Marketplace
- Familiarity with cross-platform application development (macOS, Windows, and GNU/Linux)
- Working knowledge of Concourse CI and Kubernetes
- Experience in the Node.js and Rust ecosystem
- Contributions to OSS projects (please include a URL)
- Interest in IoT/embedded systems as demonstrated through personal projects with a Raspberry Pi, commercial or industrial experience with connected devices, etc.
- Experience with balena as a user
- Having worked remotely before
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you. If possible, please also share a sample of your work (URL or attachment).
We’re looking forward to hearing about you! Along with your CV/Resume, please answer the questions in our application form to help us make an informed initial assessment.
Working at balena
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We value knowledge and initiative more than educational and personal backgrounds, age, or location. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK — we’d rather learn than let our assumptions get in our way.
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Generous vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
Source: Remotely Awesome Jobs, Stack Overflow, Balena