Company: Entangled Group / Pathstream
Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States
At Pathstream, our mission is to create the most accessible and effective career pathways to knowledge economy jobs, at scale.
Software companies, colleges, students, and employers suffer from a growing skills gap because there is no intermediary to provide education that directly prepares students for digital-skill careers.
We partner with leading software companies to build college curriculum for emerging digital skill careers, which are delivered to students through our national network of community college and university partners through our online, active-learning environment. Students can access these courses just like any other course at their college, at no extra cost. However, unlike most college courses, our program and technology allows students to learn by creating real work projects in the same software used on the job.
Our courses are offered on the Pathstream learning platform, which includes a killer labs feature that allows students to learn while working in industry leading software used on the job, and eliminates the frictions of learning new digital skills – students can jump into learning without wasting any time on downloading, installing, or configuring new tools or projects.
Progress in our first 9 months
- Partnerships with Facebook, Unity, Tableau, Silicon Valley Bank, and Salesforce (and others to be announced soon)
- Partnerships with 25+ community colleges that collectively reach over 1 million students
- Viewed as a groundbreaking new model in higher ed – as featured in this TechCrunch article
In short, we are a lean team (less than 15 FTEs) that have product/market fit and now rapidly scaling. We are looking for a Director of Product Design to lead the development and elevation of our product as we grow.
About this role
You will be the sole design resource on the team. If we had to guess, your time will be spent ~25% on high-level design thinking / UX / strategy, ~50% on wireframing / prototyping, and ~25% creating pixel-perfect designs.
You will help us tackle the following problems:
- How do we motivate students to complete material that is less fun than say watching Netflix but will help them achieve career goals?
- How do we provide just-in-time incentives and feedback to make even the least tech-savvy students feel fully confident navigating the platform?
- How do we balance gamification with the professionalism of a college course?
- How do we ensure a seamless student experience regardless of how a school integrates our content into their online courses?
- How do we foster fantastic student-instructor engagement without overburdening instructors
- ~5 (or more) years experience implementing products from inception to launch and iteration
- Generalist capabilities across all areas of design and specialist expertise in 1 or 2 areas
- Ability to share your vision and communicate at all levels. You can synthesize to two sentences for the CEO and get nerdy on pixel-level iterations with other designers.
About our culture
- We believe in our founding premise – every individual should have access to the digital skills needed to succeed in the modern economy.
- We believe the best team members are kind, collaborative, and supportive.
- We believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive.
- We believe in learning and development and seek feedback to improve.
- We gain energy in rapid-growth environments with evolving expectations and responsibilities.
What we offer
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience (this is a full time, exempt, salaried position).
- Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, paid time off, commuter benefits, and 401(K).
- We’re open to the role being remote or in-person in our San Francisco office.
How to apply
If you are interested in joining our Pathstream team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A note with 5 sentences or fewer on why you are interested plus your salary needs
- A resume or list of previous work experiences
- (Optional) A quick video walkthrough of a design you have done, ideally in the form of a case study (e.g., the problem, your thought process, the end result)
Pathstream is an equal opportunity employer. Our company values diversity and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We encourage all qualified applicants from any race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or other characteristic to apply.